Monday, July 14, 2008

Father & Son's Outing - Small Stream Brookies





This past weekend I had the great pleasure of helping our church members out with a Father & Son's outing. I enjoyed the time in the mountains with my son Ben. We talked and shared stories on our way up to the campground. Spending time with Ben is something I love very much. Ben was excited to go fly fishing. That evening we enjoyed the company of two gentlemen that were Vietnam veterans. They were pilots who courageously flew F-4's in the war. There stories around the campfire gave me chills as I thought about my personal freedoms and all that I love to do in this great land. One of the men was shot down and a POW for 9months. I can't imagine what he and his commrads must of gone through during that time. I am very grateful for their service.



After listening to their stories, Ben and I went to bed. We left the car doors open to the Yukon and watched the stars. Before long it became cold and as I rolled over I could see Ben in a deep sleep. As I watched him sleep I recalled how great it felt when I was a kid and my dad took me on my first father & son's outing. I wish I could bottle up how I felt that night and cap it forever. Being with my son Ben was the ultimate.

My alarm was set for 5:15am. As it went off I got up and tried to wake Benjamin. In a very early and tired voice came the "Dad, can we just sleep for a bit longer?". I smiled and went back to bed. I got up early to help start breakfast on the new Camp Chef three burner stove. It was awesome. It cooked like a champ even if my blueberry pancake skills were not the best. I think all of the gentlemen and their boys appreciated the breakfast and were excited to go off and play in the mountains.


After breakfast, Ben and I decided we would go fish with Brett and his son Jacob who is the same age as Ben. Brett has been a friend of mine now for quite some time. We originally bought our second home in Bountiful from Brett and his wife Jennifer. Although Brett and I have been friends we have rarely fished together.






We decided that we would check out a few spots and after we saw the crowds we decided that they would follow me up to one of the spots I grew up fly fishing when I was 16. After 6 miles of 4 wheel drive conditions I wondered how I ever got my Mercury Marquee up to my favorite little spot. After a fun drive up the rocky path we made it to the flats. We spent the afternoon catching tiny Brook Trout on small flies and the kids had a blast.



I had so much fun. I can't wait to take Ben back up to do more father and son outtings.

~JayMorr

1 comment:

Cutthroat Stalker said...

Fishing with your kids can be the best (or you can screw it up royaly) I've had both. Luckily my most recent experience was with my daughter, and it was the best (I blogged about it, of course).

Sounds like you had a great time.

 

All Images © Jason Morrison - All Rights Reserved