Friday, April 25, 2008

Idaho Falls Flyfishing & Fly Tying Expo 2008


Every year I look forward to tying at the Annual East Idaho Fly Fishing and Fly Tying Expo. It has been some what of a tradition to head up with Jason Haslem and attend the show and banquet. Over the last few years we have had some great times while helping raise money. This year I had the opportunity to meet with Al and Gretchen Beatty, Dave Whitlock, Charles Jardine and many other incredible fly fishers and tyers. This year my name got flubbed up in the tying schedule and thinking that I was left off as a scheduled tyer, I showed up with excitement to photograph the event. Upon arriving two things occurred. One, I WAS on the schedule to tie and did not have my tying materials and Two, I forgot my Canon XTi. I had left the camera sitting on the table at home. My 400mm lens was sitting next to me in the car seat but no camera body. In an attempt to pack quickly just coming off my Alaska trip, I was to busy to ensure that I had packed my biggest investment for the trip. Long story short, I made a visit to the local Walmart in Idaho Falls to see if they had anything I could purchase to shoot with and to my disapointment I was out of luck. I am very grateful that Alan and Joni showed up to the show toting an extra camera (Canon XT). Alan let me use his camera all weekend long and I was able to capture some great fly tyers on the digi. The annual trip to Idaho Falls always has me driving home with motivation to get to my tying vise. The mentorship and encouraging words from Al Beatty were a highlight for me. Getting to know him better and listening to all that he shared with me meant a lot. Jason and I had some great moments while attending this years banquet. I won the Dave Scadden pontoon boat raffle, and also a fly tying bench. They are nice additions and I am excited to use them both. Having dinner with Lynn, his wife, Nick & Stef, Steve and the rest of the crew was a lot of fun. It was a great weekend and one that I will remember for some time. Highlights from the weekend can be found at:
www.jaymorr.com











1 comment:

JayMorr said...

Yes, it was a shock to see both Dave and Emily at the show. A very nice surprise. I picked up a few custom prints and had them all signed to me. We were also able to auction off some prints at the recent Utah Fly Tying and Fly fishing Expo we held this past weekend. Idaho Falls is a great trip. I look forward to it every year. This years show was special!

 

All Images © Jason Morrison - All Rights Reserved